This is a great activity during Diwali for kids - combine a child's joy of creating sand art (with easy to use templates), solving jigsaw puzzles, and the traditions of making Rangoli.
Rangoli, a Hindu folk art is used to decorate the entrances and walls of houses on special occasions & festivals. They also signify a warm welcome for visitors. Many traditionalists also believe that drawing of Rangolis on the floor near the main doorway of the house warded off evil spirits.
Sand Art –Jigsaw Rangoli:
- This kit contains 32 uniform square jigsaw pieces which connect to one another in all four directions.
- Two pattern templates are printed on these pieces and the craft activity involves sand art on each piece.
- When all the pieces are embellished with sand and glitter, they can be connected to one another in various combinations to yield a multitude of designs.
- Make a pair of different Rangolis or even combine the pieces from both designs to form Big Picture Rangolis.
- Imagine making new Rangoli patterns everyday just by rearranging the sand art pieces!
- When displayed in this manner you are bound to get raving complements on your ingenuity.
Contents: Jigsaw pieces: 32; Coloured sand: 5 assorted colours; Adhesive: 1; Glitter glue: 2 assorted colours; Spatula: 1; Instruction Manual: 1
- Choose any one Rangoli picture template,
- Identify the areas in the template for each color.
- Starting with one colour apply the adhesive glue carefully with the brush in the predefined areas of the template for this colour. Ensure that the adhesive does not spill outside the border.
- Sprinkle the selected coloured sand on these exposed gum areas uniformly. Allow to dry and then tap off extra sand from the picture.
- Repeat the operation for other colours in their respective areas in the picture one by one to complete the rangoli.
Additional Tips and enhancements:
- My mixing two different colored sands within a target area one can get a shaded effect.
- Proudly showcase your work of art for others to appreciate, or even better, frame your best pictures for longer preservation.
Toys For Fine Motor Skills, Toys For Imagination Skills, Toys For Artistic Skills